Tuesday, October 7, 2008

new treasures

During countless hours on my throne as Queen of Procrastination, I have made a couple new discoveries in the realm of collecting.

The first is a book I'm currently reading. I was perusing a bookstore recently and it just caught my eye as the title reads "Collections of Nothing", and anything with the word collections on it seems to jump out at me. It is part memoir, part reflection "of the mania of acquisition". It tells the story of the author, William Davies King, and his relationships and experiences with collecting 'nothing' throughout his life. Although I haven't finished it yet, it is a touching, wry and amusing dissection of the art of collecting.

read it.



Another discovery I made was just tonight, during one of those long internet adventures that seems endless. You know, the ones where you start with a specific aim, find it, but then also find something else, so you click on that, and then at the new place you discover another exciting link...and so on and so forth until it takes you on a wonderful journey deep into the bowels of the interslice.

So. What I found was a set of collection themed photos on flickr...

(http://flickr.com/photos/birdinthehand/sets/72157602804722087/with/2887199501/)

She has a photo of her small antique photo collection, and then of a scissor collection as well. The scissor collection had also previously been assembled as a mobile.

I enjoy that.

I hope you enjoy these.




















Wait...what happens if the mobile breaks?


- layne

No comments: